Hardship Licenses in Texas After A DWI Offense

Most people lose their license at least temporarily after a DUI or DWI. Did you know that if you’re caught driving when your license is suspended that additional penalties may apply? You can’t afford to take the risk, but you may be able to get a hardship license.

A first-time offender who has been accused of driving while under the influence of alcohol, who failed the chemical test, may be eligible for an Texas hardship license. This is only applicable after the first 30 days of the suspension period and the license can be suspended for a minimum of 90 days or up to two years. Issuing a hardship license following a first offense allows restricted driving privileges for six months of the suspension period.

The hardship license also allows you to drive to and from school or work and to and from a court-ordered treatment program and for necessary medical emergencies. If you were pulled over because an officer suspected that you were under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time and you refused to submit to a chemical test, you cannot receive a hardship license.

You will have to wait for your suspension period to expire before the license can be reinstated. In the event that the state decides to award you a hardship license, you will be required to file proof of financial responsibility in the form of an insurance policy with the Texas BMV. Furthermore, you will have to pay a license reinstatement fee of $130 before you are given a hardship license.

A hardship license may be especially helpful if you need to get to work or other places and having your license suspended could lead to significant consequences such as the loss of your job. You will need to have the appropriate documentation gathered and ensure that you have met all the necessary requirements before requesting to get the hardship license. The right lawyer is vital for the establishment of meeting these requirements and to give you peace of mind.

By : admin | March 2, 2018 | DWI

What You Need to Know About a Third Offense DUI in TX

If you faced any type of DUI allegation in the past in Texas and been convicted, the stakes are much higher if you have been pulled over again. You need to know the criminal as well as the administrative penalties of being accused, so that you can take swift action to protect yourself. A third DUI conviction in Texas, within a 10-year period is classified as a felony. Although DUI is a general term used to refer to driving under the influence, operating while intoxicated is the official term in TX. Your driver’s license will be suspended if you are convicted of a third OWI in Texas. If your previous OWI conviction occurred less than 10 years before your current conviction, but more than five years ago, your driving privileges are suspended for a minimum of a 180 days and no longer than two years.

Any DWI should prompt a response from you to hire the right lawyer, but this is even more true if you already have a criminal record or a track record of being accused of a DUI in the past. If you have convictions on your record for past DWI allegations, you need a lawyer who will fight back on any possible grounds to help you avoid jail time and other penalties.

There are no traditional look back periods in effect in Texas, which is used to determine the time limit during which a previous OWI is classified as a prior. If the previous OWI conviction happened within five years immediately preceding your most recent charge, this is a class D felony. Outside of other extenuating circumstances that may be outlined in the criminal code, misdemeanor charges are likely to apply. When there are at least two previous OWI convictions on your record, you will be in prison for at least 10 days or ordered to complete 360 hours minimum of community service. Furthermore, you will need to go through an alcohol and drug abuse assessment and will be likely asked to complete a treatment program. As soon as possible after you are accused of a third offense OWI in Texas, you need a lawyer.   


By : admin | January 29, 2018 | DWI

What Are Your Options If Charged with A DWI In Fort Bend?

If you have already been charged with DWI in Fort Bend, it is important for you to identify a criminal defense attorney right away. Only a lawyer can help you navigate the complexities of the criminal justice system and to set you up for success. In general, after you have been accused, your attorney will schedule a consultation directly with you to discuss the facts of your case.

You may go over details such as what happened when you were arrested and the circumstances surrounding the night in question. Your attorney may identify information that could be used in your criminal defense strategy. In the event that it appears that you need to do as much as possible to minimize the consequences rather than eliminating them entirely, there are three major options if you are charged with a DWI in the Lone Star state. These include a plea bargain, a trial in court, or a pursuit of a case dismissal. Your lawyer can tell you more about which one of these is most appropriate for you.

You will want to hire a criminal defense attorney in any case but it is very important that you hire one to assist you in any criminal case that could lead to potential jail time. Having an attorney at your side can significantly enhance your chances of obtaining a favorable sentence in your DWI trial.

Looking through all your options and talking with an experienced attorney may help you find a strategy that works in your defense. The police officers may have overstepped their bounds and violated your rights, your defense attorney will use this to help you potentially avoid a conviction.

Qualified professionals will use all of the information gained from the initial consultation to paint a clear picture of what you can expect in court and which of the three options listed above may suit you best. This is why it is strongly recommended that you exercise your right to an attorney and that you do so as soon as possible. Your ability to recover compensation depends on your willingness and action to hire an experienced Fort Bend DWI lawyer.


By : admin | November 20, 2017 | DWI

What Should I Do If I Get Stopped After I Have Been Drinking in Texas?

The most important thing to remember is that your ability to keep calm and talk to the officer in a rational manner is important when you are pulled over for suspected driving under the influence. You should not panic. If you have been stopped after drinking, it is important for you to carefully listen to the questions asked directly by the officer. You will need to show proof of valid insurance and a valid driver’s license when stopped by the authorities. You should have these ready or know where to find them easily when you are operating the car.

Allow the officer to inform you about why he stopped you. There is a good chance that you really do not know the reason why the officer stopped you at all. If the officer asks where you have been going, you should understand they are trying to engage you in conversation with the purpose of identifying whether or not you are okay to drive. If the officer asks you if you have been drinking at all, there is a good chance that he or she is patrolling for individuals who may be driving while under the influence. The answers that you provide to the police officer may be important for your continued journey and eligibility to avoid catastrophic consequences.

If you admit that you have been drinking, the officer will ask you how many drinks you have had. This is used to determine his or her opinion of your sobriety. When you admit to three or a couple of drinks, there is a very high chance that the officer will ask you to exit the vehicle and perform exercises before you can be allowed to continue.  You are allowed to drink responsibly and keep details of your private life to yourself. Comply with the officer’s request and remain polite whenever possible as this can help to keep the situation from escalating and becoming even more problematic.

By : admin | October 20, 2017 | DWI